Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe was originally published in Food & Wine. This is a Jeremiah Tower recipe.
- 4 lamb shanks (4 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 24 cloves garlic, peeled
- 12 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 6 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut in 1/4 inch strips
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut in 1/4 inch strips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven 300 degrees.
- Sprinkle shanks with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Place shanks in oven-proof pot just large enough to hold them.
- Add 12 unpeeled garlic cloves, bay leaves, and thyme sprigs.
- On stove top, cook over moderate heat until browned.
- (15 minutes).
- Cover and put in the ovent for 2 hours or til very tender.
- Turn every 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from oven and let stand covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove the shanks and set aside.
- Add chicken broth to pot and boil over high heat, scraping brown bits from bottom of the pot.
- Boil until reduced to 2 cups.
- Skim frequently.
- (about 10 minutes).
- Strain stock and return to pot.
- Add peeled garlic cloves and simmer til tender.
- (20 minutes).
- Return lamb to casserole.
- Add peppers and thyme leaves.
- Cover and cook til peppers are tender.
- (10 minutes).
- Transfer shanks to serving plates.
- Stir butter into the saunde and season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Spoon sauce around shanks.