Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
If you prefer a thicker sauce add in a little flour mixed with cold water to thicken towards the end of cooking time. This is a really great recipe for lamb!
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
Fantastic! We loved this dish! It was very flavorful and the lamb shanks were fall-off-the-bone tender. We cooked for 3 hours in the dutch oven. We made more sauce than the recipe called for as we only had two shanks, but we made 2/3 of the sauce. I used baby bella mushrooms instead of white button and I served the dish over Recipe #321401 instead of pasta. I liked it this way and think that it definitely lends itself well to mashed potatoes. I will definitely make this recipe again. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT5.
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 lamb shanks
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small white button mushrooms
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram (optional and to taste)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine (can use red wine)
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta or 1 lb penne pasta, uncooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large Dutch oven or oven-proof pot heat oil over high heat.
- Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper then brown on both sides (about 6-7 minutes per side) transfer to a platter or plate.
- Add in onions, garlic, mushrooms, thyme, majoram and crushed red pepper; saute for about 7-8 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Return the lamb back to the pot.
- Add in wine and bring to a boil; simmer for about 6-8 minutes.
- Add in broth, Worcestershire sauce and crushed tomatoes; bring back to a boil.
- Cover the pot and transfer to the oven to cook for about 2-1/2 - 3 hours, or until the lamb is very tender.
- Season with salt and pepper about the last 30 minutes or cooking.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta in boiling salted water until JUST firm-tender; drain and place the pasta in a large bowl.
- Spoon the sauce over the cooked pasta, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, then place the shanks on top.
- Serve and pass more Parmesan cheese separatel at the table.