2 hrs 20 mins
From Supermarket Epicure cookbook. I haven't tried this yet. The recipe states: These slowly cooked lamb shanks are succulent and tender. The meat literally falls off the bone into a slightly sweet tomato sauce flavored with citrus slices, honey and cinnamon. This is dish is ideal for preparing ahead of time as the flavors improve with reheating. *Buy shanks that have some red in the bones. That lets you know they're fresh.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 (1 -1 1/4 lb) lamb shanks, patted dry
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 navel orange, thinly sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 2/3 cup hearty red wine
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2In a large, heavy casserole, heat the oil until almost smoking over medium-high heat.
- 3Add the lamb shanks and brown on all sides, about 15 minutes. If you cannot fit the shanks without crowding, just do 2 at a time.
- 4Stir in the onion, adjust the heat down to medium, and cook until the onion is wilted and pale, about 4-5 minutes.
- 5Blend in the lemon and orange slices, tomatoes, stock, wine, honey, cinnamon stick, salt and pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil, stir to combine the ingredients, cover the casserole and transfer to the preheated oven.
- 6Bake the lamb shanks until they are very tender, about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- 7Remove the cover and skim off the fat, return the pot to the oven, partially covered, for another 15 minutes, turning the shanks a couple of times during this time.
- 8Serve over cooked pasta or bulgur.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Lamb Shanks With Glazed Lemon and Orange Slices
Serving Size: 1 (847 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1250.3
- Calories from Fat 574
- Total Fat 63.8 g
- Saturated Fat 24.1 g
- Cholesterol 408.0 mg
- Sodium 455.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 27.0 g
- Protein 122.9 g