1/2 Photos of Braised Lamb Shanks With Barley
3 hrs 15 mins
Beth Wettergreen's Note:
This is a recipe of my mother, Mary Marble Wettergreen, which she often prepared in the oven. But I have found that lamb shanks are ideally suited to the crockpot,. Assemble the crockpot version the night before or very early in the morning.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (907.18 g) lamb shanks
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 3 fresh garlic cloves (or 1 tsp. garlic powder)
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2.46 ml dried thyme (or 2 tsp. fresh thyme)
- 0.25 ml nutmeg (optional)
- 29.58 ml salt
- 177.44 ml pearl barley
- 396.89 g can tomatoes, chopped
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 236.59 ml water
- 118.29 ml dry red wine (such as burgundy (or substitute water)
- 1In heavy skillet or dutch oven, brown lamb shanks in hot olive oil. Remove shanks and set aside.
- 2Saute onion, garlic and spices in oil until onion is soft.
- 3At this point you can transfer the entire dish to the crock pot, or cook it in the dutch oven. Add salt, barley, tomatoes, tomato paste, water (and wine if desired) to shanks. Make sure all the barley is immersed in liquid.
- 4TO BAKE: Cover Dutch oven closely and bake in a 325 degree oven for 3 hours or until shanks are very tender and falling off the bone.
- 5CROCKPOT: Cook the dish on "Low" for at least 8 hours. I found it easiest to assemble the night before and then just plug in the crockpot when I leave for work in the morning.
- 6In either case, turn off the heat and let the dish sit uncovered for 10-20 minutes. Use a tablespoon and skim off any excess fat from the top before serving.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Lamb Shanks With Barley
Serving Size: 1 (502 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 762.8
- Calories from Fat 321
- Total Fat 35.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 204.0 mg
- Sodium 3680.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 65.1 g