Cook2 hrs 30 mins
This made the house smell heavenly, a perfect cool weather dish. The meat literally falls off the bones. Mashed potatoes as an accompaniment is a must. The total cooking time is actually 2 hours 15 minutes, adding in the time to thicken the sauce the total cooking time is 2 1/2 hours.
- Combine flour and pepper in large ziplock bag (I used a freezer bag).
- Dredge lamb shanks in flour.
- Thinly slice onion, mince garlic.
- Heat oil in large frying pan.
- Fry shanks until golden brown on each side.
- Turn with tongs.
- Place shanks in Dutch Oven, or large oven proof pot with lid.
- Add minced garlic and bay leaves to pot.
- Add onion slices to frying pan.
- Cook stirring occasionally until onion is soft.
- Add red wine to frying pan.
- Cook stirring occasionally until slightly syrupy, approximately five minutes.
- Pour onion mixture over shanks.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning over shanks.
- Pour beef stock into pot.
- Cook in 375 F oven for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- If desired sauce may be thickened by removing lamb shanks to plate and simmering sauce on stove top for 15 minutes or until it coats the back of a spoon.
- Return shanks to sauce to rewarm.