1/4 Photos of Braised Lamb Shanks
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
This made the house smell heavenly, a perfect cool weather dish. The meat literally falls off the bones. Mashed potatoes as an accompaniment is a must. The total cooking time is actually 2 hours 15 minutes, adding in the time to thicken the sauce the total cooking time is 2 1/2 hours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine flour and pepper in large ziplock bag (I used a freezer bag).
- 2Dredge lamb shanks in flour.
- 3Thinly slice onion, mince garlic.
- 4Heat oil in large frying pan.
- 5Fry shanks until golden brown on each side.
- 6Turn with tongs.
- 7Place shanks in Dutch Oven, or large oven proof pot with lid.
- 8Add minced garlic and bay leaves to pot.
- 9Add onion slices to frying pan.
- 10Cook stirring occasionally until onion is soft.
- 11Add red wine to frying pan.
- 12Cook stirring occasionally until slightly syrupy, approximately five minutes.
- 13Pour onion mixture over shanks.
- 14Sprinkle Italian seasoning over shanks.
- 15Pour beef stock into pot.
- 16Cook in 375 F oven for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- 17Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- 18If desired sauce may be thickened by removing lamb shanks to plate and simmering sauce on stove top for 15 minutes or until it coats the back of a spoon.
- 19Return shanks to sauce to rewarm.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Lamb Shanks
Serving Size: 1 (705 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1108.5
- Calories from Fat 518
- Total Fat 57.6 g
- Saturated Fat 21.6 g
- Cholesterol 363.1 mg
- Sodium 936.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 110.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: