1/2 Photos of Braised Lamb Ragu With Penne
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
If you love lamb, then try this dish, it is a fantastic dinner to serve to guests, or of coarse family, as it is so easy to make! I promise you will get rave reviews on this dish! This dish has lots of sauce, when I made it I simmered the sauce separately in a small saucepan for about 25 minutes to reduce slightly after the complete dish was cooked, but that is only optional, also if you have any leftover sauce, you can freeze it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb penne pasta (can use more less, as desired)
- 1/3 cup oil (or more or less as needed)
- 6 -8 lamb shanks
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs small button mushrooms (can use more or less)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or to taste, can use about 3-4 tablespoons fresh chopped basil)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (or to taste)
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 1/4 cups beef broth
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1Set oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Cook the penne in boiling water until JUST firm-tender, drain and transfer to a bowl (do not rinse with water) toss with 2-3 tablespoons oil and set aside, this can be done before, during or after you cook the lamb shanks).
- 3Heat oil in a Dutch oven over high heat.
- 4Rub oil lightly on the lamb shanks and then season them with salt and pepper.
- 5Add to the pot and brown evenly on all sides (this should take about 10-12 minutes).
- 6Transfer the lamb to a platter.
- 7Add in chopped onions, garlic, mushrooms, basil, rosemary and crushed red pepper flakes; saute until the veggies are tender (about 7-9 minutes).
- 8Return the lamb to the pot.
- 9Add in wine and bring to a boil; simmer for about 6-8 minutes.
- 10Add in beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and crushed tomatoes and return to a simmer.
- 11Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 12Cover the pot and transfer to the oven.
- 13Cook for about 1-1/2 hours, or until meat is desired tenderness.
- 14At this point you can remove the meat from the bones and return the meat to the sauce, or just serve the bone with the meat on them with the sauce.
- 15Serve the sauce over cooked pasta, and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Lamb Ragu With Penne
Serving Size: 1 (725 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1077.4
- Calories from Fat 432
- Total Fat 48.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 242.1 mg
- Sodium 714.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 83.2 g