Recipe by The Flying Chef
This is a wonderful recipe, the lamb comes out moist and juicy and the risotto is a wonderful accompaniment, that is full of flavour and lovely and creamy. It is my son's favourite risotto recipe and he is always asking me to make it.
- olive oil
- 4 lamb fillets (you could also use one large fillet of about 600g if that is all you can get.)
- 1 small leek, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- 300 ml water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 200 ml dry red wine
- 25 g butter
- 50 ml balsamic vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cornflour
- truffle oil
- 2 tablespoons shaved parmesan cheese (extra)
- 30 g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup risotto rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 20 g parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat some olive oil in a large pan, add lamb fillets and sear to brown both sides.
- Add leek, carrot and garlic stirring a couple minutes to soften leek, do not allow vegetables to brown.
- Pour in water and wine, add stock, balsamic vinegar and butter, stir to combine.
- Cook over a very low heat for 45 min's to 1 hour, until lamb is tender. Turn lamb a couple of times during cooking. (If using a whole lamb fillet cooking time will be longer becuase of the weight.).
- Remove lamb and keep warm, turn the heat back up, mix a little water with the cornflour and pour into pan, stir until sauce thickens. ( I use this more just to drizzle a little over the meat, rather than as a sauce, as it is already full of flavour, as is the risotto.).
- Serve meat over risotto, drizzle a small amount of pan sauce over, top with shaved parmesan ans drizzle with truffle oil.
- Melt butter in a pan, add onion and garlic stir until onion softens, add rice and stir to coat in butter.
- Pour in water and wine, stir, add chicken stock and bring to the boil, turn heat down and simmer over a low heat until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked about 20 min's.
- Just before all the liquid has been absorbed add herbs, stir to combine.
- Once it is cooked remove from heat and add cheeses and pepper to taste, stir gently until cheese has melted.
- To Serve: Place risotto in the centre of a plate, slice lamb fillets into thin slices, drizzle a very small amount of reserved pan juice, top with parmesan shavings and drizzle with truffle oil.