1/3 Photos of Braised Kale With Black Beans and Tomatoes
Despite its list of ingredients, this Portuguese dish is simple to make because everything goes straight into the pot and simmers into a rustic blend of nicely-balanced flavors. Points 3.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 bunch kale (about 8 to 10 leaves)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and diced (2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth or 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Using a sharp paring knife, slice off the hard, central vein of each kale leaf.
- 2Stacking 3 to 4 leaves at a time, cut them crosswise into half-inch strips.
- 3Rinse in a colander or sieve and shake well, leaving some moisture clinging to leaves.
- 4In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- 5Saute onion until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- 6Add kale and mix until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- 7Add tomatoes and garlic.
- 8Cook, stirring, until tomatoes soften slightly, about 3 minutes.
- 9Add beans and broth.
- 10Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until kale is tender, about 30 minutes.
- 11Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 12Serve as a side dish or over brown rice for a main course.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Kale With Black Beans and Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 183.7
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 28.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 10.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth