Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is a big favourite at my house. Because it is prepared on the stovetop, it can be served all year round. It is delicious served with mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
- 3 lbs boneless beef blade roast
- 2 garlic cloves, slivered
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup chopped drained canned tomato
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- With a sharp knife, make small cuts in the beef; insert a garlic sliver in each.
- Rub the meat with salt and pepper; sprinkle with flour.
- In a deep heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over high heat; sear the meat for about 7 minutes or until browned all over.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, thyme, bay leaf and stock.
- Cover tightly and simmer over low heat for 1-1/2 hours, turning the beef occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes, parsley, oregano and basil; simmer for 45 to 50 minutes or until the beef is tender.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Slice and serve with the vegetables and sauce.