Cook1 hr 30 mins
Courtesy of Johnsonville Sausage
Make and share this Braised Italian Sausage Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 453.59 g package Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links, coin sliced
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 4 small parsnips, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 226.79 g baby bella mushrooms or 226.79 g white button mushrooms, halved
- 2 stalk celery, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 709.77 ml chopped swiss chard, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 118.29 ml barley, uncooked
- 793.78 g can Italian plum tomatoes (in juice)
- 411.06 g can chicken stock
- 236.59 ml dry white wine
- 4.92 ml italian seasoning
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- 2.46 ml salt
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 minutes or until slightly soft. Add sausage links to pan; cook 12 - 14 minutes or until sausage is browned and almost cooked through.
- Remove sausage links to cutting board and allow them to cool before coin slicing. Stir in carrots, parsnips, mushrooms, celery and Swiss chard into the Dutch oven. Add the barley, tomatoes, stock, wine, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add sliced sausage to the pot. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and continue to simmer for up to 1 hour or until the barley is cooked. Serve with crusty Italian bread.