Cook1 hr 30 mins
Courtesy of Johnsonville Sausage
Make and share this Braised Italian Sausage Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (16 ounce) package Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links, coin sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 4 small parsnips, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms or 8 ounces white button mushrooms, halved
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 cups chopped swiss chard, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup barley, uncooked
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes (in juice)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 minutes or until slightly soft. Add sausage links to pan; cook 12 - 14 minutes or until sausage is browned and almost cooked through.
- Remove sausage links to cutting board and allow them to cool before coin slicing. Stir in carrots, parsnips, mushrooms, celery and Swiss chard into the Dutch oven. Add the barley, tomatoes, stock, wine, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add sliced sausage to the pot. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and continue to simmer for up to 1 hour or until the barley is cooked. Serve with crusty Italian bread.