Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe was created by Chef Dolores Montecino of Levi's Plaza Cafe in San Fransico, Ca.
- 2 -4 lamb shanks
- 1⁄4 cup oil (for browning)
- 4 quarts strong beef broth
- 1 quart hoisin sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup ginger, minced
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 2 quarts diced onions
- 2 quarts diced carrots
- Mix beef stock, hoisin, sherry and soy sauce.
- Set aside.
- In large pan, brown lamb in oil and add garlic, ginger, carrot, onion and green onion.
- Add liquid ingredients, bring to boil.
- Reduce to very low heat, cover and simmer for approximately 2 hours.
- Stir occasionally to ensure even cooking Remove lamb from pan and skim off excess oil.
- Puree vegetables and juices with hand blender.
- If you desire a thicker consistency, add cornstarch dissolved in water.