Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Tender heart and sour sauce.
- 1 beef heart or 2 calf hearts
- boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery (with leaves)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup diced green pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons fat
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 2 tablespoons dry wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons olives, chopped
- salt and pepper
- To prepare heart wash well, remove veins, arteries and blood. If beef, cut it across the fiber in 1/4 inch slices.
- Pour water into saucepan or oven-proof dish to the depth of 3/4 inch. Add carrots, celery, onion, salt and green pepper, if using.
- Place the heart slices on a rack in the pan well above the water.
- Cover tightly, simmer meat until tender for about 1 1/2 hours, or bake it in a 250°F oven until tender about 2 hours.
- Strain the stock.
- Chill it.
- Remove the fat and if you like use it in the gravy.
- Use about 2 cupfuls of the stock. Melt the butter or fat. Stir in the flour. Stir in the stock.
- When boiling add the meat and vegetables.
- Add the lemon juice or wine, parsley and olives. Correct the seasoning with the salt and pepper.