Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A great meal with garlic mashed potatoes or basmati tice and steamed spinach. So tender.
- 6 lamb shanks
- 2 turnips, medium cut to 1 inch long cubes
- 3 carrots, large cut to 1 inch long
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 4 tomatoes, cubed (or canned diced tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 onions, quartered
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 garlic cloves, quartered
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven at 325 degrees.
- Combine salt and pepper and season the lamb.
- In a large stainless steel pan pre-heat olive oil med/high heat.
- Sear the lamb in the oil 3-4 minutes each side or until browned.
- Remove from oil and add carrots, onion, garlic and turnip and fry lightly 2-3 minutes.
- Add wine and scrape the bottom of pan of all the glazed on bits.
- Add the the stock and tomatoes and bring to a good boil.
- Add the lamb back in and cover the pan with foil or pan cover and place into oven 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
This is definately one of the most flavourful ways I have had lamb. It is excellent and now its a weekly request at the home.