Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Northern style braised short ribs.
- 3628.73 g beef short ribs
- 9.85 ml five-spice powder
- 2 star anise
- 14.79 ml oil
- 14.79 ml garlic, mashed
- 4.92 ml ginger, finely chopped
- 709.77 ml tomatoes, cut 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 473.18 ml celery, cut 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 236.59 ml onion, peeled and cubes
- 14.79 ml brandy
- 473.18 ml tomato sauce
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 236.59 ml liquid, five spice braising
- oyster sauce
- Wrap five spices mix and star anise in cheese cloth.
- In an 10 quart, place ribs, spice mix and enough water to cover ribs. Cook over medium heat with lid on and allow meat to slow simmer 1 hour and reduce liquid by half. Remove ribs and save braising liquid. In same pot, add oil, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, celery and onion. Stir fry for a minute and add brandy and short ribs. Mix tomatoes sauce to taste, sugar, braising liquid and pour over ribs. Return to simmer until the sauce has thickened. Add oyster sauce to taste. Before serving remove the cheese cloth.