Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Taken from an edition of Good Taste magazine
Make and share this Braised Fennel With Tomatoes & Thyme recipe from Food.com.
- Cut fennel long ways into 1 cms thick slices.
- Place slices in heavy based fry pan.
- Arrange tomato slices on top.
- Scatter over thyme sprigs, season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over chicken stock and bring to boil.
- Cover with lid or seal with foil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 -20 minutes or till fennel is tender.
- Remove pan from heat, remove lid or foil, sprinkle with cheese.
- Heat grill to medium high and place pan under grill for 2 minutes till cheese melted and golden.
I used Bok Choy instead of fennel. It was tasty. It ended up more like a soup (and I only used 1/2 cup of stock) than a veggie to put on the plate. The Bok Choy didn't need nearly as much time to cook as the fennel might.
A great recipe that we all liked very much.
I used small fennels and dried thyme from Crete (Greece). For the topping I used the combination of leftovers of 2 different Swiss cheeses similar to Gruyere, not too so soft, not to hard and tasty.
I had to stop my DD and DS; my DH was not already at home and wanted to let something for him!
Thanks a lot for the recipe!