Recipe by Chef Kate
Via Deborah Madison, a very simple and quite delicious treatment of fennel which is a wonderful accompaniment to pork or grilled fish.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Fennel is such an under appreciated veggie. It's got so much flavor, and this recipe is a perfect example of how to enjoy it. The simplicity is the key. I made this just as written and loved it. Save those feathery leaves for garnish. Thanx for posting this!
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil or a combo, plus extra for greasing the baking dish)
- 2 -3 bulbs fennel, trimmed
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- parsley (and or or fennel greens)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325°F
- Rub a baking dish large enough to hold the fennel in a single layer with butter.
- Slice the fennel bulbs in half or quarters lengthwise and steam the fennel over simmering water for 10 minutes, then arrange in the dish.
- Dot with butter or drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and add the wine or water. Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cover, baste the fennel with its juice, then add the cheese and continue baking uncovered until the fennel is completely tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Serve garnished with chopped fennel greens or parsley.