Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Cooking Light. Dec 2003. Serve with ham or pork tenderloin
Make and share this Braised Fennel With Orange recipe from Food.com.
- 4 large fennel bulbs, each cut into 8 wedges (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄3 cup fresh orange juice (about 1 orange)
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fennel leaves
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add fennel wedges. Cook 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fennel wedges and sugar, and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, orange rind, orange juice, vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Sprinkle with the fennel fronds.
- Note: Leave enough of the root end intact so the fennel wedges hold together.