Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Cooking Light. Dec 2003. Serve with ham or pork tenderloin
- 4 large fennel bulbs, each cut into 8 wedges (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄3 cup fresh orange juice (about 1 orange)
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fennel leaves
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add fennel wedges. Cook 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fennel wedges and sugar, and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, orange rind, orange juice, vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Sprinkle with the fennel fronds.
- Note: Leave enough of the root end intact so the fennel wedges hold together.