Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh fennel
- 8 ounces onions
- 1⁄4 pint dry white wine
- 1⁄4 pint water
- 6 slices whole meal bread, thick slices (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Clean and trim the fennel and cut in matchsticks
- Place the fennel in a wide, lidded pan with the thickly sliced onions.
- Scatter over the spices and salt, oil and the liquids.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the fennel is cooked but still firm, stirring all the ingredients are well distributed.
- Serve with a roast meat or griddled fish or as vegetarian dish.