Recipe by Chef Kate
Wonderfully savory, peppery-sweet dish from Nancy Harmon Jenkins' "Flavors of Puglia." This is a great starter or side.
Top Review by rosslare
Fennel braised in olive oil, garlic and anchovies! This is SO ITALIAN AND SO FLAVORFUL!! I do realize it's not for everyone, like my husband for example. But that only means there is more for me!
- 4 -6 fennel bulbs, large, quartered (or 1 dozen very small "baby" bulbs)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 small dried red chili pepper, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Drop in fennel quarters or whole "baby" bulbs. Return to boil and cook, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, until the fennel is tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a frying pan large enough to hold all the fennel, heat olive oil over medium-low heat and add garlic, anchovies and chile pepper.
- Cook gently until garlic has softened.
- Mash the anchovy bits into the oil to make a paste.
- Add fennel and continue cooking, stirring to coat the fennel with the garlicky, peppery oil.
- Cook together, stirring occasionally, for an additional 5 minutes.
- Spoon fennel from pan onto a serving plate, and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper. Serve hot, or let cool to slightly warmer than room temperature.