Chef Kate's Note:
Wonderfully savory, peppery-sweet dish from Nancy Harmon Jenkins' "Flavors of Puglia." This is a great starter or side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring pot of water to a rolling boil.
- 2Drop in fennel quarters or whole "baby" bulbs. Return to boil and cook, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, until the fennel is tender.
- 3Drain and set aside.
- 4In a frying pan large enough to hold all the fennel, heat olive oil over medium-low heat and add garlic, anchovies and chile pepper.
- 5Cook gently until garlic has softened.
- 6Mash the anchovy bits into the oil to make a paste.
- 7Add fennel and continue cooking, stirring to coat the fennel with the garlicky, peppery oil.
- 8Cook together, stirring occasionally, for an additional 5 minutes.
- 9Spoon fennel from pan onto a serving plate, and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper. Serve hot, or let cool to slightly warmer than room temperature.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Fennel Pugliese
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 141.4
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 4.5 mg
- Sodium 277.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 3.5 g