1/1 Photo of Braised Fennel and Onions With Ginger
This flavorful and attractive side-dish makes the perfect accompaniment to roasted meats or to fish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the top (at the"fingers") and base of the fennel bulbs off and remove the first tough outer layer; cut each in half (top to bottom).
- 2Cut each of the halves in half again (you've thus cut each bulb into 4 slices); now thinly slice each (top to bottom) resulting in"sticks" of fennel.
- 3Heat the olive oil in a large lidded frying pan and saute the garlic, shallot, and ginger for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- 4Add in the fennel and the onion and mix well.
- 5Add in the wine and water, and scatter the salt and turmeric over all.
- 6Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, or until the fennel is cooked but still firm, and stirring occasionally.
- 7Remove the cover and continue to cook 5 to 10 minutes, until the majority of the liquid has evaporated.
- 8Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Fennel and Onions With Ginger
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 101.4
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 241.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 1.4 g