This flavorful and attractive side-dish makes the perfect accompaniment to roasted meats or to fish.
- Cut the top (at the"fingers") and base of the fennel bulbs off and remove the first tough outer layer; cut each in half (top to bottom).
- Cut each of the halves in half again (you've thus cut each bulb into 4 slices); now thinly slice each (top to bottom) resulting in"sticks" of fennel.
- Heat the olive oil in a large lidded frying pan and saute the garlic, shallot, and ginger for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add in the fennel and the onion and mix well.
- Add in the wine and water, and scatter the salt and turmeric over all.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, or until the fennel is cooked but still firm, and stirring occasionally.
- Remove the cover and continue to cook 5 to 10 minutes, until the majority of the liquid has evaporated.
- Serve immediately.