Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Real Simple.
- 6 fennel bulbs, trimmed, halved, and cut in to 1/2 inch wedges (small, leaves reserved)
- 1 lemon, juice squeezed and zest cut into 1 1/2 inch strips
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 whole black peppercorn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole coriander seed (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups white wine
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Place the fennel in a large saucepan. Thinly slice the zest into matchstick-size strips and scatter them over the fennel. Add the lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of the salt, the peppercorns, coriander, wine and broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the fennel is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat. (You can cook the fennel ahead of time for 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside at room temperature for up to 4 hours. Warm over medium heat for 5 minutes).
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fennel and lemon zest to a platter. Sprinkle with the remaining salt and the reserved leaves. Serve warm or at room temperature.