Braised Fall Vegetables With Coriander
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Wrap the coriander seeds and bay leaves in cheesecloth and tie with string.
- Stir the herb bundle into the saucepan along with the wine, stock, sugar and cayenne and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the fennel, carrots and a little salt to the saucepan and simmer over moderate heat until almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and bell pepper and simmer until all the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a bowl.
- Boil the cooking liquid until flavorful and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Discard herb bundle.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the cooking liquid cool to lukewarm, then stir in the hazelnut oil. Season with salt; add more cayenne or hazelnut oil if needed.
- Pour the cooking liquid over the vegetables, scatter the watercress sprigs sparingly over the top and serve warm or at room temperature.