Recipe by JT'sMom
This recipe comes from the St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (Seattle) Cookbook. This is wonderful served as a side-dish with grilled salmon and a rice pilaf.
- 4 large Belgian endive, halved
- ice water, salted
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup lemon juice, fresh
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the endive in salted ice water for about 15 minutes. Drain and remove as much moisture as possible.
- In a large skillet, over medium, melt butter. Add endive, lightly season with salt and pepper . Add lemon juice and saute lightly 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Lower heat to maintain a simmer and simmer uncovered 25 to 30 minutes or until tender. Remove skillet from heat.
- In small bowl of electric mixer, beat eggs until light and frothy. Add flour and continue to beat. Slowly add lemon juice; gradually drizzle in hot broth from the skillet.
- Return skillet to low heat. Pour egg-lemon sauce over endive, shaking pan back and forth to incorporate avgolemono sauce with endive and to thicken sauce.
- Serve immediately.