Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe I adopted. I have cleaned up the ingredients listing.
Make and share this Braised Duck With Red Curry recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (5 lb) ducks
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 16 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 1⁄4 cup Thai red curry paste
- 5 cups duck stock or 5 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons palm sugar or 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- jasmine rice, cooked
- 2 bunches cilantro, stems trimmed, chopped
- 2 limes, sliced in wedges
- 1 bunch scallion, white and 1/2 the green part, trimmed, thinly sliced along diagonal
- Bone ducks and remove the skin. (You can ask a butcher to do this).
- Cut breasts in half, then into about 3 pieces across the width.
- Chop legs and thighs into about 4 pieces each.
- (Remember: You want to start with generous pieces of meat, since they will shrink when cooked. Don't worry about cleaning the tendons, since they will soften with long cooking.) Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over high heat.
- Brown duck on all sides, then transfer meat to a platter.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook shallots until well browned, about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, increase heat to medium-high and cook about a minute, then add Thai Red Curry Paste.
- Cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes.
- Return duck meat to pot along with duck stock or chicken stock and cook at a slow simmer, uncovered, until meat is tender, about 40 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer meat to a platter and reserve in a warm place.
- Puree sauce in a blender and strain back into pot.
- Cook over high heat until liquid is reduced by one third.
- Stir in fish sauce, coconut milk, sugar, and lime juice, and remove from heat.
- Stir duck back into warm sauce.
- Ladle stew over Jasmine Rice.
- Garnish with remaining ingredients and serve immediately.