Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
i was searching for another way to cook these, other than confit, and found one, made a bunch of changes to suit our taste, and voila! delicious.
- 4 -6 duck legs
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 cup dried fruit, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- 5 cups chicken stock or 5 cups duck stock
- heat a heavy kettle big enough to hold legs in 1 layer over medium high heat.
- add duck legs, skin side down and cook 15-20 minutes until dark browne.
- remove fat with a bulb baster as it renders.
- turn legs over and cook for 2 more minutes.
- remove to a plate.
- pour most of the fat out.
- add garlic, onions, celery, carrot, cook until softened.
- add red wine, turn heat to high, deglaze the pan.
- add 1/2 c fruit and add legs back to pan, skin side up.
- add duck stock, thyme, bring to simmer, uncovered, cook for 1 1/2 hrs.
- transfer legs to a platter.
- skim fat off the top of the braising liquid.
- heat to boil and cook until reduced by half.
- add remaining fruit, cook until thickened.
- season with salt and pepper, serve over legs.