Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Tasty greens from "The Float Away Cafe" in Atlanta.
- 2 lbs fresh tender young collard greens, destemmed
- 1⁄2 lb prosciutto (hock or pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons veal stock or 2 tablespoons rich chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sherry wine vinegar (a dash)
- 1 teaspoon roast garlic puree
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (A touch of)
- In large hot stock pot sear prosciutto hock or country ham scraps.
- Add vinegar, maple syrup, red pepper flakes, salt and 1 quart water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for approximately 1 hour.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Blanch collard greens in this mixture for about 10 - 15 minutes.
- The greens should be soft & tender in texture but still green.
- Remove from stock and let cool, reserve pork stock.
- To serve heat 1 cup pork stock, veal stock, sherry vinegar, 1 teaspoon maple syrup, 1 teaspoon roast garlic puree and salt & pepper to taste.
- Add optional heavy cream if desired.
- Reduce by half.
- Add cooked collard greens.
- Serve warm.