Recipe by dicentra
Cooking Light. August 2003 - Serve this spiced side dish cold or at room temperature. Save the tasty cooking liquid for flavoring stir-fries, rice, or tofu.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili paste with garlic
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- peeled fresh ginger, crushed (6 1/4-inch slices)
- 2 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 whole star anise, crushed
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sake (rice wine) or 3 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 3/4 cup onions and next 6 ingredients (3/4 cup onions through anise); stir-fry 15 seconds.
- Add water, soy sauce, and sake; bring to a boil. Add potatoes. Reduce heat; simmer 25 minutes or until tender.
- Cool to room temperature. Remove potatoes from cooking liquid with a slotted spoon.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons onions.