Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Chuck Steak is usually tough & tasteless, but not when prepared like this! I like making a gravy with the drippings & serving it with Mashed Potatoes With Carrots Choose a boneless chuck steak that isn't too fat, but has some nice marbling. You can also use Beef Short Ribs for this.
- 3 lbs chuck steaks
- flour, enough for dredging (about 2/3 c.})
- 1⁄4 cup Butter Flavor Crisco
- seasoning salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium Spanish onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup water (or beef broth)
- Cut the meat into about 1 inch strips.
- Dredge meat in the flour, shaking off the excess.
- In a dutch oven, melt shortening over med.-high heat (WATCH CAREFULLY -- if it smokes, it's too hot).
- Brown meat on all sides -- do in batches, if need be).
- Season to taste.
- Drain fat from dutch oven & return the meat.
- Place sliced on over the meat & then add the water.
- Cover & simmer on LOW heat for 2 to 2½ hours OR place in a 325° for the same amount of time.