Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from Autralian Good Food June 2010 Easy one-pot family meals bonus book. My dad made this for me and the chicken was so tender and tasty. The sauce is delicious and hearty with its Italian flavours, it makes a great winter meal. I would not recommend leaving out the anchovies if you don't like them. I don't like them, but I didn't know they were in there until dad told me! I think they are important to the flavour of the sauce, as are the capers and rosemary. If you don't have fresh rosemary, dried works just fine. You could also use chicken breast instead of thigh fillets, I don't usually like thigh fillets, but in this dish I thought they were delicious, very tender and almost falling apart. You would probably not get quite the same result with breast. If you do use breast you will have to reduce the cooking time. Also, make sure you use a pan with a lid, because it needs to be covered during part of the cooking process. It is great served with salad greens and crusty bread.
- Heat half of the oil in a large frying pan on medium. Cook chicken for 3-4 minutes each side until browned.
- Add half of the chopped rosemary and stir to combine. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil and cook onion for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add garlic, anchovy and remaining rosemary. Cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, capers and red wine or water. Bring to the boil.
- Return chicken to pan, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and scatter over the extra rosemary sprigs.
- Serve with salad greens and crusty bread.
This was delicious! I doubled the recipe and served it over spaghetti. I used a can of Redpack brand diced tomatoes and they were on the sweet side, next time I'll use a brand that does not add sugar! The only change I made was to use half the amount of onion, just a personal preference. Next time I'll probably add a bit of crushed red pepper for some kick.
Thanks for posting.
This was very easy to make and extremely tasty. If yoou are tired of chicken tasting the same or bland then this a great recipe for you. Did I say it was easy to make? I used Roma tomatoes which were perfect for this dish. I used boneless skinless chicken thighs. You do not realise that the anchoves are in the finished dish. Try this recipe and you will add it to your rotation to serve for dinner. Oh its even better the next day and should freeze nicely. Thanks for the recipe. Bill