Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is very good! Taken from Cooking Light, January/96. We used chicken breasts instead of leg quarters. I didn't allow for chilling time of 2 hours or cooling times.
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled gorgonzola or 1⁄2 cup blue cheese
CHICKEN WITH SAUCE
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (large)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3⁄4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3⁄4 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 4 canned anchovy fillets, finely chopped or 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- PREPARE CHEESE POLENTA:.
- Place cornmeal and salt in a large saucepan.
- Gradually add water, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, and stir in cheese.
- Spread in bottom of 9" square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Press plastic wrap over surface of polenta, and chill 2 hours or until firm.
- PREPARE CHICKEN AND SAUCE:.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken.
- Coat a large Dutch oven with cooking spray; add oil, and place over med-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Remove chicken from pan; set aside.
- Add onion and garlic, sauté 2 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, broth, wine, rosemary, and bay leaves; stir to deglaze pan.
- Stir in tomato paste and anchovies.
- Return chicken to pan; bring to a boil.
- Bake chicken mixture at 350º for 45 minutes or until done.
- Remove chicken from pan with slotted spoon; set aside, and keep warm.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl; stir well.
- Add cornstarch mixture and lemon rind to pan; bring mixture to a boil, and cook 1 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Return chicken to pan, and cook an additional 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Cut polenta into 4(4-1/2") squares.
- Cut each square diagonally into 2 triangles.
- Place polenta triangles on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray, and broil 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Arrange 1 chicken breast and 2 polenta triangles on each of 4 plates; spoon 1/2 cup sauce over each serving.
- *Lower Fat Version: Omit Gorgonazola cheese from the poelnta, and add 1/4 teaspoon salt.