Prep 20 mins
Cook 42 mins
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 piece gingerroot, peeled and minced (3 inches)
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 -3 green serrano chilies, chopped
- 5 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 -4 black cardamom pods
- 2 pieces cinnamon sticks (1-inch)
- 5 -6 whole cloves
- 6 -8 whole black peppercorns
- 2 small bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons coriander, ground
- 2 tablespoons cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 -10 chicken pieces (legs, thighs or beasts your choice)
- Heat oil in large saucepan over high heat. Add onions and sauti 2 minutes.
- Stir in ginger, garlic and chiles.
- Add chicken pieces and brown lightly.
- Add tomatoes and remaining spices, yogurt, rum and salt. Reduce heat to low and braise 40 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with cilantro and rice. With leftovers.
- Freezes well.