Recipe by English_Rose
This dish is sure to awaken the taste buds with its tangy flavours. If you can’t get hold of figs, then pears are a great alternative.
Top Review by Daun
Found this when the fig tree decided to have it's best year ever. This is a really good meal! I didn't have cider vinegar so I used a Pinot Grigio vinegar instead, and no vermouth. still and all it was teriffic! This also worked well with pork chops and some veal medallions I cooked up for some friends. Very well done thank you for sharing
- 4 large chicken legs
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 medium red onions, cut into quarters
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 10 black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- 8 ripe figs, halved
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Sprinkle the chicken legs with sea salt. For best results, cover and leave in the fridge overnight. When ready to cook, wipe off the salt and trim any excess flesh.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pan, add the chicken skin side down, and cook for about 6 minutes or until coloured. Add the butter to the pan, and turn the chicken over to baste.
- Add the onions and wine and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half. Add the vermouth and the stock, being careful not to cover the chicken completely.
- Bring to a simmer and sprinkle the chicken with the crushed peppercorns. Transfer pan to oven. Roast for about 30 - 40 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, warm the honey and vinegar slightly.
- Once cooked through, remove the chicken and onions from the pan and put to one side to keep warm.
- Add the warmed honey mix to the sauce and simmer until reduced by half.
- Place the figs in a large clean pan, cut side down, and strain the reduced sauce over the figs. Cook for 5 minutes, basting frequently until the figs have slightly softened.
- Serve the chicken leg with the figs and onion quarters.
- Add parsley to the sauce, check seasoning and pour over.