Recipe by lazyme
A nice chicken dish from Cooking Light Jan/Feb 1995 that is good served over rice.
Top Review by susie cooks
This is wonderful! The only thing I did different was use all chicken breast. I served this over orzo, delicious! It is easy to follow and worth the time it takes. My house smelled yummy and my family couldn't wait for it to be ready. I love the fact that it is a Cooking Light recipe! I will make this often. Great for a family dinner and/or dinner party.
- 1⁄2 lb white pearl onion, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 cup onion, slivered
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 2 skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup Chardonnay wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, quartered
Directions See How It's Made
- Drop pearl onions into boiling water in a Dutch oven, and cook 3 minutes.
- Drain; rinse with cold water, and peel.
- Set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add slivered onion, carrot, and celery; saute 5 minutes.
- Place the onion mixture in a bowl; set aside.
- Add chicken pieces to Dutch oven; cook 4 minutes, turning chicken pieces once.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low; cook 10 minutes.
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper; sprinkle over both sides of chicken.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes.
- Return onion mixture to pan; add wine and next 4 ingredients, stirring gently.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken from pan, and arrange on a serving platter; set aside, and keep warm.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Bring sauce to a boil; cook 7 minutes or until the sauce is reduced to about 3 cups, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium; gradually stir in milk, and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; cover and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 2 teaspoons butter in a skillet over medium heat, and add pearl onions.
- Saute 4 minutes or until tender; remove from skillet.
- Add mushrooms, and saute 3 minutes.
- Arrange the pearl onions and the mushrooms around chicken on serving platter, and spoon the sauce over chicken and vegetables.