Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Daisy Martinez. The sofrito recipe can be found here Sofrito (Daisy Martinez). It makes more than you need. You can freeze the rest in 1/2 cup or 1 cup portions for later use.
- 2 small whole chickens, each cut into 10 pieces (about 3 lb each)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- vegetable oil
- 236.59 ml sofrito sauce
- 7.39 ml curry powder
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- 382.71 g unsweetened coconut milk
- Pat the chicken pieces dry and season generously with salt and pepper. Pour enough oil into a large dutch oven to cover the bottom. Heat over medium high and lay as many pieces of chicken in the pan that will fit without crowding. Cook, turning as necessary, until browned on all sides. Adjust the heat to keep the the oil sizzling but not too hot. Remove chicken from the pot and repeat with the remaining pieces.
- Pour off all but 1/4 c of the fat from the pot. Add the sofrito, curry powder, and cloves and cook until the liquid has evaporated and the sofrito is sizzling. Lower the heat and whisk in the flour, then continue whisking until the flour absorbs all of the oil. Slowly pour in the chicken broth and coconut milk while continuing to whisk. Season lightly with salt and pepper and bring the sauce to a simmer over medium heat.
- Return the chicken to the pot, and cook until the chicken is very tender, about 25 minutes. Check the chicken a few times as it cooks to make sure the sauce is staying at a gentle simmer. Turn the chicken pieces over and move them around a bit too in order to make sure everything cooks evenly.
- Serve chicken and sauce over rice.