Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
This is an interesting chicken breast entree ... the balsamic vinegar caramelizes nicely with the brown sugar and shallots. I was following a basic recipe and then started adding things to turn it into something completely different! Serve with mashed potatoes, definitely!
Top Review by ReeLani
Mmmm! The flavor of this dish was super. I loved the balance of flavors. I admit I got distracted and let mine get a little, shall we say, over-caramelized, but it was really good even so, just extra sticky. I'll be more vigilant next time and now I'll enjoy it even more.
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts, with skin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke, divided
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter with 1 teaspoon of the Liquid Smoke.
- Saute shallots until golden, then add garlic.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste, then brown chicken about 10 minutes, turning once.
- Add garlic and one cup of water to skillet and boil, stirring, one minute.
- Return chicken to skillet and arrange skin sides up.
- Gently simmer, covered, until chicken is cooked through and garlic is tender, about 35 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet; add balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and remaining one teaspoon of Liquid Smoke.
- Boil, uncovered, until slightly thickened.
- Return chicken to pan and allow sauce to vinegar-sugar mixture to caramelize a bit on the chicken, about 10 more minutes.
- Season to tast with salt and pepper and serve!