Prep 12 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a one dish meal! Buy a whole chicken cut up, or if you prefer dark meat, buy four chicken leg quarters. This recipe is from Cooking Light.
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 chicken breast halves, bone-in, skinned
- 2 chicken thighs, bone-in, skinned
- 2 chicken drumsticks, bone-in, skinned
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth, fat-free, low sodium
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, fresh, chopped
- 12 baby turnips, peeled, 8 oz
- 12 baby carrots, peeled, 8 oz
- 12 white pearl onions, peeled, 8 oz
- 6 parsley sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup green peas
- 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh flat-leaf, chopped
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and pepper. Add chicken to dutch oven; saute 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from pan.
- Add broth to pan; cook 1 minute, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add wine, thyme, turnips, carrots, onions,6 parsley sprigs, and bay leaves; stir. Add chicken to pan, nestling into vegetable mixture; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until chicken is done. Discard bay leaves and parsley sprigs. Remove chicken and vegetables from the pan.
- Place a zip top plastic bag inside a 2 cup glass measure. Pour cooking liquid into bag. Let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings back into the pan, stopping just before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat.
- Return liquid to pan. Bring liquid to a boil; cook until reduced to 1 1/2 cups (about 5 minutes.
- Melt remaining 1 tbsp butter in a small skillet. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Add flour mixture to cooking liquid; cook 2 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly.
- Return chicken and vegetable mixture to pan; stir in peas. Cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Delicious one-dish meal. I used a combination of chicken thighs and drumsticks and loved it! I couldn't find baby turnips, so just used 2 regular turnips, peeled and sliced. The recipe was easy to put together. We loved the gravy. The only thing that was tricky was doing the ziplock bag trick. It took two of us and we made a little bit of a mess. It is such a cool idea though! Yummy meal. Thank you. Made for ZWT8 Great Britain
This is a terrific chicken dish, and so easy! I left out the onions as I don't care for them, and used boneless skinless chicken breasts. The gravy for this was so tasty, loved it with the chicken and veggies. Thanks for sharing the recipe!