1/2 Photos of Braised Chicken With Baby Vegetables and Peas
1 hr 12 mins
This is a one dish meal! Buy a whole chicken cut up, or if you prefer dark meat, buy four chicken leg quarters. This recipe is from Cooking Light.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 chicken breast halves, bone-in, skinned
- 2 chicken thighs, bone-in, skinned
- 2 chicken drumsticks, bone-in, skinned
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth, fat-free, low sodium
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, fresh, chopped
- 12 baby turnips, peeled, 8 oz
- 12 baby carrots, peeled, 8 oz
- 12 white pearl onions, peeled, 8 oz
- 6 parsley sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup green peas
- 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh flat-leaf, chopped
- 1Melt 1 tbsp butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and pepper. Add chicken to dutch oven; saute 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from pan.
- 2Add broth to pan; cook 1 minute, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add wine, thyme, turnips, carrots, onions,6 parsley sprigs, and bay leaves; stir. Add chicken to pan, nestling into vegetable mixture; bring to a boil.
- 3Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until chicken is done. Discard bay leaves and parsley sprigs. Remove chicken and vegetables from the pan.
- 4Place a zip top plastic bag inside a 2 cup glass measure. Pour cooking liquid into bag. Let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings back into the pan, stopping just before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat.
- 5Return liquid to pan. Bring liquid to a boil; cook until reduced to 1 1/2 cups (about 5 minutes.
- 6Melt remaining 1 tbsp butter in a small skillet. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Add flour mixture to cooking liquid; cook 2 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly.
- 7Return chicken and vegetable mixture to pan; stir in peas. Cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Chicken With Baby Vegetables and Peas
Serving Size: 1 (815 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 519.9
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 107.5 mg
- Sodium 1242.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 18.2 g
- Protein 32.7 g