Recipe by JoeB
Definitely for garlic lovers. This is a fairly simple braised chicken dish with a rich flavorful sauce. It has a lot of garlic but it is braised until the garlic turns into a buttery caramelized accent.
- 7 lbs whole chickens, cut into 8 pieces. Split the breasts so the chicken sizes are about the same, this is two 3 . 5 lb c
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups white wine
- 6 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 5 heads garlic, whole heads cloves separated, unpeeled
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim excess fat off chicken. Rinse and Pat the chicken dry. Salt and pepper each piece.
- Lightly smash garlic, leaving peel attached.
- Heat 4 Tbl Olive Oil in a heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Working in two batches, brown the chicken on all sides, 12 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add remaining olive oil and garlic to the pot. Stir until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add wine and thyme; bring to a boil.
- Return chicken to the pot.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, moving chicken pieces from top to bottom every 5 minutes, for about 20 minutes. (The sauce will not cover the chicken).
- Season to taste w/salt and pepper.
- Transfer chicken to platter, spoon garlic cloves around chicken and spoon sauce over.