Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
In ‘ Williams-Sonoma: Simple Suppers’
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 6 bone-in skin on chicken thighs (6.2 lb total weight)
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, cook the bacon, turning often, until crisp, 4-5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a small plate.
- Drain off all but 2 T drippings from the pan.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Return the pan to med-high heat, add the chicken, and cook, turning once or twice, until golden brown on both sides, about 8 minutes total.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and sauté until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and stir to scrape up the browned bits on the pan bottom.
- Stir in the oregano, red pepper flakes, and tomatoes and their juice.
- Return the chicken and any juices from the plate to the pan, cover, decrease the heat to med-low, and braise until the chicken is cooked through, 25-30 minutes.
- Uncover, increase the heat to med-high, bring to a simmer, and stir in the bacon.
- Transfer the chicken to dinner plates, top with the sauce, and serve.