1/1 Photo of Braised Chicken Thighs With Sauerkraut
Sauerkraut simmered with vegetables, apple, and juniper berries is a perfect match for bacon and chicken thighs. The robust combination of flavors makes this a great hearty winter dish. Created by the staff of Food & Wine. For a white wine that will contrast nicely with the sauerkraut, look for a soft, full-flavored, and unoaked white. Gewürztraminer or pinot gris from Alsace in France are ideal choices.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 slices bacon, cut crosswise into thin strips
- 8 chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds in all)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3 cups sauerkraut, drained and rinsed (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1 cup homemade stock
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 10 juniper berries, lightly crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1In a large deep frying pan, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- 2Season the chicken thighs with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper and add to the pan in batches if necessary. Cook, turning, until browned, about 8 minutes. Remove from the pan. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat.
- 3Add the onion, carrot, and apple to the pan. Cook over moderate heat, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the sauerkraut, bacon, broth, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, the mustard, juniper berries, and bay leaf. Arrange the chicken in an even layer on top. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat, and cook, covered, until the chicken is just done, about 25 minutes.
- 4Remove the chicken from the pan and discard the bay leaf. If too much liquid remains in the pan, raise the heat to moderately high and cook until slightly thickened. Serve the sauerkraut topped with the chicken.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Chicken Thighs With Sauerkraut
Serving Size: 1 (451 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 541.3
- Calories from Fat 333
- Total Fat 37.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 169.4 mg
- Sodium 1468.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 37.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: