Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe from Emeril Lagasse from Food Network.
Make and share this Braised Chicken Thighs With Button Mushrooms recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 16 ounces button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups dark chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups steamed cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
Essence (use 1 Tablespoon)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Set a 10-inch, straight-sided saute pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. Season the chicken thighs with the Essence, salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken, skin side down in the pan and sear until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the chicken over and sear on the second side for another 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and add the butter and mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until browned and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour into the pan and cook, stirring often to make a light brown roux, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, stock and rosemary to the pan, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Return the chicken to the pan, skin side down and cook the chicken for 30 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook until the meat is very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Serve the chicken over rice and garnish with the chopped parsley.
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast): Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Yield: 2/3 cup.
Very nice flavor. I had boneless, skinless thighs so I used them instead of bone-in with skin. I also added a couple tablespoons of butter to the sauce at the end to finish it Served over mashed potatoes.
Fantastic!!! I used 6huge skinless chicken breasts and doubled the sauce. The chicken was so moist! I added more essence to the sauce because we love the flavor. Everyone agreed that it will be on our regular meal rotation! It was very good with rice and want to try it with pasta next time and serve with garlic bread. I'm so thrilled that I came across this recipe because it is a 5star meal! DH wants to hide the leftovers so the kids don't steal it while we are out tomorrow LOL!
My husband and I love this recipe. He said it was one of his favourites. My son (4 yrs) is a very picky eater and once I actually got him to taste it he said he could eat it all day. So So Good!