Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 9 mins
Comfort food with sophistication. Its a great dish for you and your family.
- 4 ounces bacon, slices cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 4 skin-on bone-in chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 4 chicken drumsticks (about 1 pound)
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra-virgin
- 2 red onions, peeled and quartered through the stem
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 3⁄4 cup marsala (sweet Italian fortified wine)
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- Cook bacon in a deep 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and reserve bacon fat in skillet.
- While bacon is cooking, Rinse chicken, pat dry with paper towels, and season both sides with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large, high-sided sauté pan over medium-high. Working in batches, brown chicken on both sides, turning once, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer chicken to a platter; tent loosely with parchment paper, then foil, to keep warm.
- Add onions, tomatoes, and thyme to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Pour in Marsala; cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Return chicken to pan and pour in stock; bring to a simmer, and cover. cook until chicken is cooked through and tender, about 35 minutes. Transfer chicken to a platter, and cover to keep warm.
- Skim off excess fat from liquid in pan; simmer liquid over medium-high until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. To serve, divide polenta among shallow bowls and arrange chicken on top; spoon pan sauce over each.