1/1 Photo of Braised Chicken Legs With Olives and Tomatoes
Food & Wine. WINE A soft, fruity California red.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 whole chicken legs (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can peeled whole tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup kalamata olive, pitted (about 4 ounces)
- 1In a large heavy skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil until almost smoking.
- 2Season the chicken legs with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat until well browned, about 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pan and pour off the fat.
- 3Heat 2 more tablespoons of oil in the skillet. Add the onion and 3 of the garlic cloves and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 7 minutes.
- 4Add the chicken to the skillet with the tomatoes, wine and rosemary; season with pepper and bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt. Transfer the chicken to plates and keep warm.
- 6Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse the olives with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and 1 garlic clove to a coarse paste.
- 7Stir the olive paste into the pan sauce and warm over moderate heat. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Chicken Legs With Olives and Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (485 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 600.5
- Calories from Fat 401
- Total Fat 44.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 138.6 mg
- Sodium 392.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 33.0 g