Recipe by evelyn/athens
Another homey dish - it seems like so many of the things I make are perfect for lazy Sundays...to enjoy around the table with friends and family and a bottle or two of wine.
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 ounces chicken livers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken pieces lightly.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook until light brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to bowl with slotted spoon.
- Add onion, livers, bacon and spices and saute until onion is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in wine and tomato paste.
- Add broth and bring to the boil, scraping up any browned bits.
- Return chicken and any juices to skillet, turning chicken to coat with sauce.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until breasts are cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken breasts to bowl.
- Cover and simmer remaining chicken about 15 minutes longer.
- Transfer pieces to bowl.
- Boil down liquid remaining in pot until thickened to sauce consistency, adding any juices in bowl, about 20 minutes.
- Strain sauce through fine sieve.
- Return sauce and chicken to skillet (can be prepared 1 day ahead to this point. Reheat gently over low heat.) Serve with polenta poured into center of large serving platter.
- Place chicken pieces around and spoon sauce over all.