1/1 Photo of Braised Carrots
Inge 1505's Note:
Quick and easy. A German side dish favorite for fried meat or fish. Sweetness comes from cooking in butter and a little sugar. I only use enough sugar to support the natural sweetness of the carrots, not to actually sweeten them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut carrots into 1/8 in rounds or 1/4 in dice.
- 2In a wide, low pot melt butter over medium heat, add carrots and cook about 3 minutes, stirring frequently until carrots have a "glazed" look.
- 3Add, sugar and cook another minute.
- 4Add salt and 1/4 cup hot water, cover, reduce heat to medium low and let cook until carrots are done, checking and stirring occasionally. Add a little more water if necessary to prevent sticking. Dish should be almost dry when done.
- 5I usually cook for 10 minutes but cooking time can vary considerably due to age and sort of carrots as well as your your personal preference.
- 6When done serve sprinkled with a little parsley or chervil (which is nice with fish).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Carrots
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 28.1
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 171.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 0.0 g