Prep 15 mins
Cook 14 mins
Quick and easy. A German side dish favorite for fried meat or fish. Sweetness comes from cooking in butter and a little sugar. I only use enough sugar to support the natural sweetness of the carrots, not to actually sweeten them.
- Cut carrots into 1/8 in rounds or 1/4 in dice.
- In a wide, low pot melt butter over medium heat, add carrots and cook about 3 minutes, stirring frequently until carrots have a "glazed" look.
- Add, sugar and cook another minute.
- Add salt and 1/4 cup hot water, cover, reduce heat to medium low and let cook until carrots are done, checking and stirring occasionally. Add a little more water if necessary to prevent sticking. Dish should be almost dry when done.
- I usually cook for 10 minutes but cooking time can vary considerably due to age and sort of carrots as well as your your personal preference.
- When done serve sprinkled with a little parsley or chervil (which is nice with fish).
Loved them! Flavorful and cooked to perfection. The parsley was the perfect touch. Thanks Inge!
Excellent, easy, and quick recipe! I substituted honey for the sugar, and it came out beautifully.
Loved them! These were just sweet enough to give them interest but not too overpowering. Easy to make for a rushed weeknight meal and healthy! Lovely way to make carrots more interesting. Please see my rating system: an excellent 4 stars. Thanks!