Prep 72 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
Wonderfull on chilly nights.
- 4 lbs caribou roast
- 4 slices salt pork or 4 slices bacon
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 2 bay leaves
- 2⁄3 cup claret wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- Lard the caribou with salt pork or bacon.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and cloves.
- Marinate in claret with the two bay leaves for 2 to 3 days in the fridge.
- Drain, place in a baking pan, add water and sliced onion; cover and cook in slow oven (300 degrees) about 1 hour.
- Add the marinade and the cranberry juice, cover and cook until tender, about 1 hour longer.
We used a moose roast. After 2 hour cooking time it was still tough but tasty. So we sliced it up and simmered on stove til tender then thickened up sauce.MMMM. Will definitely try this one again as the season has begun!!
Made this Braised Caribou ( using short and long ribs) for dinner tonight . I cooked them in the oven all day . turning often .and served over Polenta (Cornmeal) AND Instead of Cranberry Juice I used a small jar of my Cranberry Ketchup ( AK Sourdough Sauce) . Meat turned out really tender and served with the thickened juices poured over the Caribou on top of Sliced Polenta . Will for sure be making this again ! Next time with Caribou Roast !