- 4 lbs caribou roast
- 4 slices salt pork or 4 slices bacon
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 2 bay leaves
- 2⁄3 cup claret wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cranberry juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Lard the caribou with salt pork or bacon.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and cloves.
- Marinate in claret with the two bay leaves for 2 to 3 days in the fridge.
- Drain, place in a baking pan, add water and sliced onion; cover and cook in slow oven (300 degrees) about 1 hour.
- Add the marinade and the cranberry juice, cover and cook until tender, about 1 hour longer.