1/2 Photos of Braised Cannellini Beans With Onions and Arugula
Canned beans are one of the few canned foods I really like, and I often use them instead of dried beans in soups, stews, and even salads to save on soaking and cooking time. In this easy recipe, I braise cannellini beans with onions, garlic, and a hint of tomato, and throw in arugula for an earthy flavor and silky texture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 dried red chili peppers or 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 medium purple onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 bunch arugula, washed, dried, and stemmed
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed thoroughly, and drained again
- 1Heat the olive oil in a 1-quart pot over a medium-high flame.
- 2Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly; the garlic should become aromatic and just lightly golden (do not burn it or it will taste acrid).
- 3Stir in the chili pepper and cook 15 more seconds.
- 4Add the onion and cook, still stirring, about 2 minutes, or until the onion becomes translucent and soft.
- 5Stir in the pepper and parsley and cook 1 more minute.
- 6Fold in the rinsed and drained beans, and then stir in the tomato paste.
- 7Add enough cool water (or chicken broth if you happen to have it on hand) to cover the beans by 1/4 inch (about 1 and 1/2 cups, depending on the width of your pot).
- 8Season with the salt and bring to a gentle boil, uncovered.
- 9Cover and lower the heat to medium-low; cook for 5 minutes.
- 10Uncover, stir in the arugula, and cover again.
- 11Cook for another 15 minutes.
- 12Adjust the seasoning if needed and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Cannellini Beans With Onions and Arugula
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.6
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 930.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: