1/2 Photos of Braised Cannellini Beans With Onions and Arugula
Canned beans are one of the few canned foods I really like, and I often use them instead of dried beans in soups, stews, and even salads to save on soaking and cooking time. In this easy recipe, I braise cannellini beans with onions, garlic, and a hint of tomato, and throw in arugula for an earthy flavor and silky texture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 dried red chili peppers or 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 medium purple onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 bunch arugula, washed, dried, and stemmed
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed thoroughly, and drained again
- 1Heat the olive oil in a 1-quart pot over a medium-high flame.
- 2Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly; the garlic should become aromatic and just lightly golden (do not burn it or it will taste acrid).
- 3Stir in the chili pepper and cook 15 more seconds.
- 4Add the onion and cook, still stirring, about 2 minutes, or until the onion becomes translucent and soft.
- 5Stir in the pepper and parsley and cook 1 more minute.
- 6Fold in the rinsed and drained beans, and then stir in the tomato paste.
- 7Add enough cool water (or chicken broth if you happen to have it on hand) to cover the beans by 1/4 inch (about 1 and 1/2 cups, depending on the width of your pot).
- 8Season with the salt and bring to a gentle boil, uncovered.
- 9Cover and lower the heat to medium-low; cook for 5 minutes.
- 10Uncover, stir in the arugula, and cover again.
- 11Cook for another 15 minutes.
- 12Adjust the seasoning if needed and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Cannellini Beans With Onions and Arugula
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.6
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 930.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: