Cook2 hrs 20 mins
Just because I really like this side dish! Also included is the recipe for Smash Seasoning.
Make and share this Braised Cabbage and Carrots recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large head green cabbage (about 3 pounds)
- 4 slices bacon, diced (extra thick bacon)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons smash seasoning (recipe follows)
- 1 (10 ounce) bag baby carrots
- salt and pepper
Smash Seasoning ingredients
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Core Cabbage and chop into 2-inch pieces.
- In large pot over medium heat, cook bacon halfway through. It will release the fat and be lightly browned, but still not crisp.
- Add Cabbage, water and Smash Seasoning. Cover and reduce to simmer and steam 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes. Drain water from pot and add carrots. cover and simmer another 15 minutes, until carrots are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Smash Seasoning:.
- Mix ingredients throughly and keep in a tightly sealed container for up to 6 months.