Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs 20 mins
Just because I really like this side dish! Also included is the recipe for Smash Seasoning.
- 1 large head green cabbage (about 3 pounds)
- 4 slices bacon, diced (extra thick bacon)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons smash seasoning (recipe follows)
- 1 (10 ounce) bag baby carrots
- salt and pepper
Smash Seasoning ingredients
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Core Cabbage and chop into 2-inch pieces.
- In large pot over medium heat, cook bacon halfway through. It will release the fat and be lightly browned, but still not crisp.
- Add Cabbage, water and Smash Seasoning. Cover and reduce to simmer and steam 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes. Drain water from pot and add carrots. cover and simmer another 15 minutes, until carrots are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Smash Seasoning:.
- Mix ingredients throughly and keep in a tightly sealed container for up to 6 months.
This was really really good and loved the Smash Seasoning. My cabbage did get a tad over cooked but not bad. I did add an onion with the caabbage which we loved. I'll make this again. Thanks for sharing. Made for PAC Fall 2012
LOVE this recipe. I used maple flavored bacon, as that was all I had and it was amazing! The Smash seasoning was cool too. I put a tad too much salt in, but I am still looking forward to eating the leftovers. Made for Aus/NZ Recipe Swap September 2008.